Data Insights (Big Data) Developer
Status: Closed, Fetch! candidate successfully hired
Job code: FR310
Our client partner is a next-generation type of web company – in the last three years they have grown rapidly by building an innovative web service which has fundamentally changed and modernized their industry and generated a lot of buzz – they are one of Toronto’s real start-up success stories.
The company has built a rapidly scaling internet product – they have awesome momentum, great financing, five solid products on the market and over a million and a half users around the world. They are looking for a data focused Developer to take on the challenge of setting up a Hadoop cluster and evolving their Big Data practice.
- Establish, support, extend and enhance a heterogenous data infrastructure that will serve as the basis for providing the data needed to drive the company to success.
- Create impactful insight from complex data.
- Design effective data systems using both SQL and NoSQL technologies that measure rapid product development choices based on data driven success criteria.
- Work as part of a small, agile data team that’s focused on continual improvement of their skills and helping each other learn new things.
- Collaborate with the product management team to support data driven product decisions and pivots.
- Support application development teams by consulting on query and DB management issues.
- Be in a workplace that is fun and informal — a place where you’ll actually want to come in on Monday mornings.
- B.S., M.S., and/or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering or equivalent.
- Understanding of relational database technologies and database development techniques.
- Understanding of NoSQL & non-relational data processing technologies such as Hadoop, HDFS, and HBase.
- Ability to design sustainable, scalable, high quality data-oriented solutions.
- Data modeling and design skills and experience.
- A pragmatic and iterative approach to data products and analysis.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and adept at identifying issues within database schemas.
An exceptional candidate has
- Experience in building data solutions for SaaS companies.
- Knowledge of Kimball-style Dimensional Data Marts scripting experience with Bash, Python or other scripting language.
- Experience with Hortonworks, Hive, Sqoop, and Pig.
- Software engineering expertise and craftsmanship.